20050713

The Gravy Train Derailed

We are leaving our $950 a month 2bedroom apartment (a steal out here) this weekend. An immoral rent increase has chased us out. In our typical Piscean laziness or good luck we rented the first place we saw, two blocks from our home now. I like the new place. I liked it better when we first saw it and it wasn't officially ours yet. The deposit we placed, finalizes things and makes me sad. Lesli is sad too cause this place has been her home for some time. She is a brilliant designer with a keen eye and if anyone can make something boring interesting it's her.
The new apartement is like Epcot without the rides. Meaning the entire globe seems to be represented. I have already met Glen our Rasta neighbor. He could come in handy. We have some folks from India below, a Middle Eastern man (I'll be watching him despite his "United We Stand" bumper sticker), and the usual Latinos y Koreans. So we are the token freak white couple.
You see most of my white friends love to think they are diverse and open. Most of them hideout in suburbs, or other typically eurocentric U.S. cities (anywhere but NY, LA, or Miami) where they talk about the need for acceptance behind brick walls with names like "Eagle Run", "Panther Lake", or "Sleepy Whites".
Come down to the thick of it I always say and get dirty. You can't run from lax immigration laws, overpopulation, crime, and chaos here in LALAland. We are crammed in together for the weather and a chance at fortune. Maybe one day I'll pull into my 'burb, my Audi blasting Coldplay, park in the garage, turn on my highspeed and bitch about a day at the office. Right now I'm still fighting for whats mine, putting up with all the bullshit that comes with it, knowing that there's something more exciting happening here then "there". And by the way, I have no shame in sleepimg on your couches when I come to visit. Before I sound like a Tupac song...Peace out.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need a bong hit after that shit. Call Stewie and the D-Street Crew...let's do this.

11:17 PM  
Blogger gulfsidebo said...

I'd like a garage to put a tv, beat up AM radio, a beer cooler, my power tools and a few stools. It's all I have left that I could call MY Domain in the house. It's me and 3 females. As long as I can have a place to retreat to, it's all good.

Good luck at your newest pad. I hope it bodes you well and didn't dig too deep into your money situation. Next time yer down in FL we're down a few pitchers together...got it?

Jam

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of us Bitchin' Suburbans (should be a rock group) used to fight the good fight like you. Then we picked a decent neighborhood in which to raise our children that had black, Indian, agnostic, and Jewish faces to blend with the freak white couples. It's the best of both worlds and I look forward to having you crash on our couch once again.

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gawd... Im a "brilliant " designer.

I dont know if i can take that kind of pressure or responsibility...**slipping into Super Brilliant Designer costume, donning cape, picking up paint brush..** Ok lets make this fucker a PAD!

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eff Mike, I'm staying with this homeboy in September.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to steal Lesli for a weekend ... our apartment could use some brillant design work. pleeaassee???

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm on the verge of attaining sleepy white 'burb verve for at least the gajillionth time... I'm stuck out here minding my chillins, restructuring the game of debt, and looking to take care of business. what chance at fortune you got- lotto? fortune is being able to sit back in your shop with a cold brew and let the creation of all begin.... what does that mean? not much.....

at least there's nobody better suited than you to be the freaky white on the quilt of the world - you : the milk and honey son retro rocker filmmaker longhair regretful republican. You were born to get dirty, born to be in the thick, caustic flow of all humanity - embibed by it, and finding that elusive fortune in it after all.

Just don't get washed away in the current, ok? Hang on to something solid.

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home