20050615

Don't get too cocky

My buddy "Ian" saw Star Wars ep.3 for the second time this week. He was fascinated with (STOP HERE IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT) Annakin's turn to the darkside. "Ian" thought it was hilarious that Annakin's punishment for being too cocky was to have his legs cut off. He loved the idea of Annakin melting away on a lava beach while Obi Wan looked on. "Ian" talked about how he'd love to teach someone he knows such a lesson. I enjoy "Ian's" violent streaks. They make me laugh.
Later today we are going to meet up for cheap beers in Little Tokyo. Everything's a Little "this or that" out here. I haven't found Little Lithuania. I guess that's in Chicago. Why do people come to the U.S. just to live in a smaller version of the country they left?
I live in Koreatown. I enjoy the cheap produce and up until now the cheap rent. I feel bad for my girlfriend's daughter. She has to compete with these Korean phenoms for school orchestra and gymnastics. We went to the end of the year recital where "the whites" struggled with "Twinkle, Twinkle" while Kim Young Sum breezed through some Pachabel. Priceless.
Later that night Lesli's daughter powered a clock with two lemon peels. "Was Kim Young Sum building a biodiesel engine somewhere?", I wondered.
"I hate competition and risk", I told "Ian" over my second espresso "and that makes me a bad American."
(to be cont.)
Not so obvious, please.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You hating competition and risk doesn't make you a bad American; you listening to your Japanese-made Ipod rockin your new Cibo Matto download mach five while you slurp French Roast coffee makes you a bad american

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

너는 한국사람을 조롱하고 있는가? 너는 자본가 돼지 나의 당나귀, 너를 닦을 수 없었다! 나는 너에 뱉는다! 나는 너의 기본 방향안에 방귀를 뀐다!

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

F Maggie Cho- I DID!

3:38 AM  
Blogger gulfsidebo said...

Hope the wood of Holly is treating you as well as the mexico of Gulf is to me. Setting down my footprints.

8:11 PM  
Blogger gulfsidebo said...

Sometimes I wish I had the more structured teaching of a Korean musician. I'd be so friggin good playing for my walls. --Bo (who's off to Denver tomorrow)

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ronnie, where you been? I'm out here in the middle of the desert looking for some relief???

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home